December 12, 2016 | By Jeremy Scheck | 2 Comments
This luxurious flavored sugar may seem complex, but it is actually one of the easiest things to make. With minimal effort, you will have amazing vanilla-scented sugar that boosts flavor in any recipe. It is especially good in custards, vanilla cakes, shortbread, or anything where vanilla is the principle flavor. If you like your coffee sweet, try using this to make the best vanilla latte.
ASB Basics: Vanilla Sugar
- Granulated Sugar (It's best to buy a large resealable container like this.)
- Vanilla Bean (you can buy these at the spice aisle of your grocery store, but they are much cheaper in larger quantities. I buy them here.)
- Stick a vanilla bean in your sugar. You can even use one from which you've already stripped the beans and steeped in milk for a custard. Using an already-used bean will give you the most bang for your buck. Just make sure you pat it dry before using.
- Close the container and let sit for at least 24 hours. The flavor will get stronger over time, but you can start using it after 24 hours.
- Use like regular sugar--it's best in recipes where vanilla is the main flavor.
That’s it! You won’t believe how much you will love this.
Jeremy is a student at Cornell University double majoring in Spanish and Italian with significant coursework in classes such as nutrition, food science and culinary science. He has years of experience as a home cook, working at a local bakery, and teaching cooking classes at Williams-Sonoma. After starting a TikTok account in March 2020 while quarantined in his childhood home, Jeremy’s presence grew to over 1.5 million followers in the first 6 months. During that time, he was featured in People Magazine, Fox News, BBC Radio, BuzzFeed, Tasty, Spoon University, and USA Today, among other media outlets.
Hi! How much sugar do you use and where do you buy your vanilla beans if you get them online? Thanks!!
I like to buy a 4 pound container of sugar and I order my vanilla beans through amazon!