Pickled Red Onions
January 10, 2021 | By Jeremy Scheck | 10 Comments
Pickled Red Onions
- Thinly sliced red onions (from half a large onion or one small)
- Apple cider vinegar (enough to cover them)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- optional seasonings such as cumin seeds or red pepper flakes
- Get a clean jam jar. If you want to keep these a really long time, sterilize them. (This is how to do it easily at home)
- Add the cut up onions to the jar. Cover with vingegar and add the salt and sugar. You can also use half vinegar/half water. Shake and refrigerate.
- They'll start to be good after a day or so, and should last at least a couple weeks in the fridge, possibly even a couple months.
Jeremy Scheck spent high school perfecting his signature cupcakes, making quiches and coffee cake by the dozen at a local bakery, and teaching cooking demonstrations at Williams-Sonoma. As a 10th grader in 2016, he began documenting his favorite recipes on a blog called The After School Bakery. In college, Jeremy learned to make 50 gallons of ice cream in the food science lab, how to prune grape vines in the teaching vineyard, the best way to milk a cow in Northern Italy, and why film photography is an art worth saving. As a sophomore in 2020, he traded blog photos for video and became a TikTok culinary sensation. Jeremy has been featured on the Today show, The Washington Post, Bloomberg, BBC Radio, People, and Access Hollywood, among others. Jeremy is a graduate of Cornell University with a double major in Spanish and Italian, and significant coursework in food science. He lives in Brooklyn, NY. Learn more about Jeremy.
I love this!! Do you think they would be good if I used a yellow onion?
i’m sure it would be okay, but not the classic pickled-onion flavor!
Can’t wait to try this recipe
Everything you make looks so appetizing and delish
does this work with regular, white vinegar?
Glad I found you while watching Dachshunds on TikTok.
I don’t even like onions, but I’m obsessed with trying your recipes so I made these last night. Hopefully I grow up and start liking them!
First I pinterested and they were all simmer ones and I remembered a tt of yours so came here. I used apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, and mustard seeds. Excited to see how they turn out!
Perfect and simple pickled onion recipe. Used these on top of shrimp tacos, sandwiches, avocado toast, etc. They add a bright flavor to anything.
Just discovered tt and Scheckeats so far so yummy.thank you