Creamy Mushroom Chicken
November 21, 2020 | By Jeremy Scheck | 25 Comments
Yield: 5 servings
Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- 1.5 pound chicken breast or tenders, lightly pounded and cut into 1-2" pieces
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Sweet paprika, to taste
- Pinch of garlic powder (optional)
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- ~1 cup of flour (doesn't need to be exact)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil + a bit more as needed
- 2 tablespoons butter + a bit more as needed
- 1-2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 shallots, chopped (use two if they are small)
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup dry white wine (something good enough to drink)
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Fresh chopped herbs for garnish, such as parsley or chives
- Season the cut up chicken with kosher salt, freshtly ground black pepper, sweet paprika, garlic powder, and cayenne. Add the same spices to the flour - we want every layer to be seasoned!
- Heat up a large skillet with the oil and 1 tablespoon of butter. Working batches for steps 2-3, dip each chicken piece into the seasoned flour (tap off excess), and add to the hot pan.
- Cook the chicken pieces over medium-high heat 2-4 minutes total, until they are golden-brown, then transfer the cooked chicken onto a clean plate. You do not need to worry about cooking the chicken all the way through yet. I did this step in 3 batches to not overcrowd the pan. If the pan looks too dry at any point and you think the chicken will stick, you can add a dash more butter or oil at your discretion.
- When all of the chicken is browned and removed from the pan, add another tablespoon of butter (unless it already looks oily). Add the mushrooms and cook several minutes on medium-high heat until they are deeply golden-brown. Stir occasionally.
- When the mushrooms look golden-brown, add in the shallots, and cook another 1-2 minutes. Then add the garlic. Season lightly with salt and pepper. (Remember, we season every layer!)
- After the garlic has soften, add in the wine. Let it simmer down for a couple minutes until a little more than half of the liquid is gone. Swirl in the dijon mustard and pour in the cream. Let it simmer for a minute.
- Add the chicken back to the sauce, along with any other accumulated juices on the plate. Simmer another 1-3 minutes, until you are confident that the flavors had time to get acquainted and that any bits of chicken that weren't fully cooked at the beginning are now.
- Garnish with the fresh chopped herbs, and serve with rice and a green veggie.
Jeremy is a student at Cornell University double majoring in Spanish and Italian with significant coursework in classes such as nutrition, food science and culinary science. He has years of experience as a home cook, working at a local bakery, and teaching cooking classes at Williams-Sonoma. After starting a TikTok account in March 2020 while quarantined in his childhood home, Jeremy’s presence grew to over 1.5 million followers in the first 6 months. During that time, he was featured in People Magazine, Fox News, BBC Radio, BuzzFeed, Tasty, Spoon University, and USA Today, among other media outlets.
25 CommentsAdd a Comment
This was so good, flavorful, and easy in my college apt kitchen. I will be making for my fam over Thanksgiving break too! 10/10.
2 shallots if small. I wish I could find small, asian shallots not the large, over-priced ones that are ubiquitous here in the USA.
Great recipe, thank you.
This recipe was so delicious and surprisingly easy- we absolutely loved this!
I wish it was a bit “saucier.” But this very well could have been because I didn’t measure anything and just eye balled it all. Anyway, thanks for the recipe!
I just made this recipe and it was absolutely to die for. I substituted some chicken thighs and brined them in some salt water and aromatics for a few hours before cooking. Other than that, I followed the instructions as nearly as I could and it was absolutely delicious! Something about the Dijon mustard at the end that really makes this sauce a winner. Don’t skip the Dijon!
We had this for dinner tonight and couldn’t believe how tasty it was! We didn’t have any dijon mustard, but everything still tasted great. We cooked it with a side of broccoli
Made this for my family tonight over spaghetti and it was a huge hit! The mushroom flavor was amazing and the dijon mustard was definitely the secret ingredient to elevate the dish. Even my dad, a mushroom hater, loved this dish. Highly recommend.
I’d usually be too intimidated to make a dish like this, but Jeremy’s video and recipe made it easy. I literally heard his voice in my head. High recommend. SO MUCH FLAVOR and you really taste is all pulled together in each bite. I impressed my bf and his mom! Felt like a chef! I served with chicken flavored white rice. Thank you.
I will be making this again. My dish did not come out as saucy as the photos, I think I may have let it simmer too long after adding the whipping cream. I’ll look out for that next time.
This was delicious! I had an issue with some of the flour falling off of the pieces of chicken and burning in the oil over time as I worked in batches. Do you know if there’s a way to avoid that happening? I was able to remove a lot of it, but some still made its way into the final dish. Fortunately the flavor was still great.
This is absolutely delicious! Followed the instructions exactly as listed and there wasn’t anything left — my two pickiest eaters (12, & 10) practically Iicked the bowl clean! I will definitely be making this again — super easy, and fantastic!
I’ve been dying to try some of Scheck Eats’ recipes on TikTok, as they look so good! I made the crispy oven potatoes awhile ago and they were great, and now I tried this recipe. So good! I followed the recipe as-is, and it was so flavorful and tasty over wild rice. I would make just the breaded/spiced chicken just to have fancy chicken nuggets, ha! Will make again!
One of the best recipes ever. I was a cook in the US Navy and managed several kitchens over a 27 year period. Very very good and so simple. Loved it!
Literally so good. I just made this for my family and they all loved it, including me, despite how much I don’t like mushrooms, and my dad, despite how much he doesn’t like chicken.
I saw some talking about how it wasn’t saucy enough so I made sure that I didn’t let everything reduce too much. The wine reduced about a third and then I added an extra splash of cream when I saw it getting low after simmering and it was perfect and super creamy.
Sorry, no idea why it posted as a reply instead of a comment :/
So good! I put it over pasta and it was so creamy and flavorful! Will definitely make again!
I made this for my family and they loved it! Next time i wouldn’t use as much flour.
I made this for my family, and it was incredible! So flavorful and creamy, and surprisingly easy to make!
Have made this twice now for my family and we love it! Every time it gets better. So flavorful and creamy but not too heavy. Delicious!! A fun twist and similar to a chicken Marsala
I’m so impressed. Recipes & tutorial are so professional & awesome. ???? you are very talented & and should be so proud. Much success!!!????
Absolutely Delicious!! Nothing left in the pan 🙂 We didn’t have dry white wine so I subbed with 1/4 cup white wine vinegar and the rest in water. Also, we don’t do dairy so subbed the cream with Ripple half and half which didn’t curdle and wasn’t nutty sweet. However, when using the ripple I found it thickened too much so I thinned it out with chicken stock. I also roughly chopped the the mushroom/shallot mixture because I have picky mushroom eaters. It truly was fantastic and we will be making it again. Thank You,
Sooo delicious. And easy enough. Jeremy is the next big thing in cooking!!!
This was everything he said it would be. It’s so tasty I’ll definitely be making it again! I didn’t have heavy cream, I used half & half. It worked just fine.
I loved this. I was looking for a new chicken recipe because chicken gets so boring and THIS. IS. IT.
First time I followed to a tee, amazing. Second time I didn’t have wine or cream so I used lemon juice to deglaze the pan and almond milk instead — a healthier take, but the original is deliciously decadent!
So so delicious and easy! Thank you for this!!
this was so fun to make i felt so professional cooking properly with wine for the first time!!
I cannot express how much myself, my boyfriend, and my roommate love this recipe! Usually I have everything on hand already, and it’s really easy to throw together. Adding a little extra liquid and some spinach is also very yummy!