I have been loving blueberries this season, so I jumped at the chance to make a blueberry pie for my family’s Memorial Day BBQ. I read about this really simple technique to make blueberry pie where you do the filling all on the stove and you blind bake the crust. It makes the whole process much easier and takes the guesswork out of knowing if you’ve baked the filling long enough. Here is how I made my pie:
- 1/2 recipe ASB Basics Pâte Brisée (Pie dough), blind baked (see notes at bottom)
- 7 – 8 Six oz packages organic blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup sugar, depending on the sweetness of your berries (I used 3/4 cup)
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 lemons
- 1–1/2 tbsp butter
- Pinch of salt
- In a large sauce pan, combine 4 cups of washed blueberries with the sugar, cornstarch, water, and salt.
- Heat over medium heat until it comes to a boil. Stir constantly and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in 4 more cups of washed blueberries, butter, juice of 1-2 lemons (to taste), and the zest of 2 lemons. Stir until the butter is mostly melted.
- Let the filling cool slightly, and pour into the baked pie shell.
- Let sit several hours to set.
Jeremy is a student at Cornell University double majoring in Spanish and Italian with significant coursework in classes such as nutrition, food science and culinary science. He has years of experience as a home cook, working at a local bakery, and teaching cooking classes at Williams-Sonoma. After starting a TikTok account in March 2020 while quarantined in his childhood home, Jeremy’s presence grew to over 1.5 million followers in the first 6 months. During that time, he was featured in People Magazine, Fox News, BBC Radio, BuzzFeed, Tasty, Spoon University, and USA Today, among other media outlets.