This dish was actually invented in Rome, although most Italians would not know what “Alfredo sauce” is. More generally, this dish is known as pasta con burro e parmigiano, pasta with butter and parmigiano reggiano cheese. It’s very simple, although the technique is everything.
- 1/2 pound fettuccine
- 7oz (200g) finely grated parmigiano reggiano cheese
- 7 tablespoons (100g) good quality unsalted butter
- Salt for pasta water
- Boil fettuccine until the package says "al dente". Save at least 1 cup of pasta water before draining.
- Add the pasta to a pan (OFF HEAT) or even a bowl. The residual heat of the cooked pasta and the hot pasta water is enough. Add the butter and slowly sprinkle in the cheese while mixing vigorously for 2 minutes. Slowly add pasta water as well to get a good consistency -- you probably won't need all of it.
- Serve immediately (you can add black pepper if desired).
Jeremy is a student at Cornell University double majoring in Spanish and Italian with significant coursework in classes such as nutrition, food science and culinary science. He has years of experience as a home cook, working at a local bakery, and teaching cooking classes at Williams-Sonoma. After starting a TikTok account in March 2020 while quarantined in his childhood home, Jeremy’s presence grew to over 1.5 million followers in the first 6 months. During that time, he was featured in People Magazine, Fox News, BBC Radio, BuzzFeed, Tasty, Spoon University, and USA Today, among other media outlets.